08 June 2008

Time

Time. Oh how it has a way of getting away from you. Here I was thinking that I was doing a fairly decent job at keeping up with this blog, and I come to find that it's been nearly 2 months since my last blog. Well, naturally, apologies are to follow such a hiatus, and really...all I can say is that time got away from me. It's amazing how often that happens now that I'm in my twenties.

Well, no use with drawing out the apology - I'm sorry, and that's that. Onto the more important things.

Since the end of April a lot has happened. Well, not really a lot, persay, but I say a lot so that my life seems less boring to me.

School. School has ended for the academic year. As many of you know, I'm a graduate student working on my master's degree in Industrial/Organizational Psychology (for a better idea of what that is, see previous blogs). I successfully completed my first year without a hitch and am now completing the requirements for my internship over the summer.

Presently I am working for an amazing company - CSC - in Maryland. For those of you unfortunate souls who aren't familiar with CSC, it is a global leader in outsourcing, computer services, and a bunch of other things. You should check them out, obviously: www.csc.com. In any event, I work for the Public side of the company (in CSC it's known as NPS). More specifically I work for staffing and recruiting. Even more specific, I work for the University Relations team along with 4 other people. Though it's not something I could see myself doing for a career, I do enjoy my work. Mainly I help find interns and full-time recent graduate hires for the various divisions that make up CSC. In addition to that, I'm the Head Intern for the company, so I have a quasi-manager role in the intern program - helping the other interns with any problems they might have, setting up events, and serving as a liaison between the interns and the various managers. It's a lot of work, but I enjoy it and it keeps me busy and out of trouble - any pays me a respectable sum as well. All of that equates to no complaints from me.

Other than school, there isn't much to speak of in my life. My AMAZING girlfriend is still in the picture, luckily, and is spending the summer with me in Maryland. She's a real trooper, as she hates the East Coast with all of her being - she's only out here because I asked her to be; neat huh?

Oh, and now for something that you might actually take an interest in - as I'm sure that you'll relate to the following. I've decided that fake people REALLY bother me. I don't mean they bother me like sand in my shoes, an overcooked steak, or even those irritating people who sit in front of you and put their seatbacks down during a long flight with no concept that it might inconvenience someone else - maybe the person sitting behind them. No, I mean they really bother me. We have a person who works with my group, and she's fake. Well, not really, only somewhat. She's very rude to people, present company included, but when she needs something from them/me she suddenly becomes the "nicest" person in the world. Funny how that works, isn't it? Most people don't seem to notice, and just appreciate that she's not as bad as she usually is, but it REALLY bothers me that she acts that way. These are the behaviors that belong within the walls of a high school, or even middle school; heck, maybe even in the dorms of college freshmen, but in the working world? Really?

Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I'd like to think that at some point people move beyond being fake, move beyond using others, and can actually pick a demeanor that allows them to look at themselves in the mirror every morning. Is that too much to ask? I don't mind doing favors for people, but I do mind doing them when the person only speaks to me when they need something, only acts like a decent human being when she needs something that she doesn't have and "can't" do herself. *Sigh*

How does that fit in with the theme of this blog (keeping in mind that the original theme was about time)? Well, it doesn't really, but this is my blog, so it doesn't all have to flow back to the theme, ok?

Alrighty, that's all for now. Moral of the story - time gets away from you, so pay attention! And, don't be one of those fake people that others come to loathe, it won't do you any favors.

Until next time,

JD

No comments: