04 April 2008

Family

Ok...so we're supposed to love family members, right? Hm...well, is it bad if "love" isn't exactly the word that you'd use to describe your feelings toward a family member? That sounds bad...let me explain.

I have two brothers, one is three years younger than me and the other is three years older. My younger brother, B, and I get along fairly well. We talk about stuff and have good laughs - mostly at each other's expense - and generally have what I'd call a characteristically good relationship. My relationship with my older brother, C, isn't quite so nice. We've never gotten along, not even when we were growing up and certainly not now that we've both grown up and moved out of my parent's house. I've always been told that when you're not around your sibling(s) very much you actually grow closer, and to a large extent that hasn't happened, at least not with C and I. In any case, today was C's birthday, and believe me, it was ALL about him. He said today that he is the most self-absorbed person he's ever known, and I find myself agreeing whole heartedly. Is that bad? I never know what to think anymore; I feel like a bad person for not having a great relationship with my brother, but at the same time I know that I've tried to make it work and he has yet to put in the same effort, so that seems to legitimize the issue. 

I guess I still love my brother, but only because he's my brother and for no other reason; we don't get along, aren't anything alike, and have entirely different outlooks and goals for our lives. Oh well, generally I don't lose much sleep over the situation, but it just made me think about it a little more - what with today being his birthday and all.

In any case, that is all. Just something for everyone to consider - enjoy the good relationships that you have with your siblings and other family members, try to make the ones that are bad better, and if you try to make those poor relationships better and it doesn't work, move on with your life.

Be well in all that you do. Until next time, 

J

No comments: