03 April 2008

Stuffage

Alrighty, not much to really say today, but it's been a while since I posted, so I feel compelled to write something.

It's a pretty nasty day outside - cold and rainy - and I have nearly 5 hours of class to sit through today and then a 5-6 hour drive to get back to my parents' house this evening...all on a nasty day.

On a lighter note, my partner and I FINALLY finished our validation study. To most, "validation study" means little more than a paper we had to submit (which, for the record, ended up being 35 pages long), but to those in the I/O field, we know better. Validation reports are technical, time consuming, and for the most part dull. Technically, they're considered legal documents that one must produce for a selection method that a company uses (the method by which a company selects its employees) should that company ever be sued for discrimination or any other form of unfair hiring practices. In any case, it's done...well, mostly. Presently my partner is doing her final edits and then sending it back to me to print, then we're done. Sadly, there is no "sigh of relief" as we have more projects and papers to work on before the conclusion of the semester, but we can still take a mini sigh, right? *sigh*

So, with tests looming overhead, final examinations charging at me, project and paper deadlines making themselves known, time speeding up, and work that goes at a break-neck pace, it's hard to take time for myself and just do something that I want to do. However, I've found through my nearly 5 years in higher education that you have to be able to do that, else you run the risk of losing your sanity (of course, this goes on the assumption that you have yet to do so). I've found that even a 30 minute walk around a park or something is nice. Previously I tried "reading for pleasure," though in graduate school you do a lot of reading, so when I don't have academic reading to do, it's hard to motivate myself to read anything, let alone the authors that I enjoy.

And that's that. I have finally secured an internship for this summer, as well as housing, so that's one less thing that I need to worry about. Unfortunately, as I said earlier, there's no time for a sigh of relief...not until finals are done, but then I start working 4 days later, so again...a mini sigh will be in order; I'll take what I can get. And...what's even better is that in...less than 2 months T and I will be reunited for the summer...oddly, though my classes speed by the time when I'll see T seems to get further and further away...not sure how that works, but...oh well.

Ok...and that's all. I have an article to read for class (yes!) and a validation report to print off and finish so that it can be turned in and forgotten about in roughly3 hours.

I hope that today finds you in good health and high spirits, and nice weather wouldn't hurt either. Enjoy life, and your day, and thanks for stopping by!

Until next time,

J

No comments: