29 March 2008

Hello again

Hello there! Well, it appears that it has been quite some time since my last blog...my apologies. Lots has happened since that last blog; however, so hopefully this will be informative, though it does have the possibility of being rather long.

Let's see...where to begin? Oh, at the beginning; naturally. So I went to Denver, Colorado a few weeks ago for an academic conference. The conference was reserved for masters and doctoral students in the fields of Industrial/Organizational Psychology and Organizational Behavior, with the exception of some HUGE names in the field who gave keynote addresses. In any case, it was a good conference. I made some good contacts, my program did a great job with our presentations, and a good time was had by all. My group presented on cognitive ability and performance in police officers. Basically, we found data that leads to a conclusion that it is possible for police officers to be too smart for their jobs, but I think that could be the case with most jobs. Sound controversial? Indeed, we had many interested persons stop by to take a gander, ask questions, and give feedback, though no one alluded to the idea that we were wrong.

While in Denver we stayed at a decent hotel. Sorry to be vague here, but I'm not a fan of representing organizations that I'm not a member of and have no vested interested in, so I won't give names. Anyway, we had a few awesome shuttle drivers at the hotel, Rick and Bob, who made the trip that much better. They were both older guys, but knew exactly (or close to exactly) where all the hot spots were in LoDo (lower downtown) each of the nights we were there. Needless to say, they were the topic of many conversations both during our stay and for a while thereafter. [Sidenote: don't you hate it when people say "needless to say" and then go on to say whatever needn't be said? Irritating sometimes, though it's a habit that I have...sorry, moving on...]

Since I've been back from my conference life has been pretty standard. My colleagues are fighting with my university to get the money we were promised for the conference (the University said they'd give us X amount of money after we got back, but there is entirely too much red tape involved with actually getting that money - ridiculous). Otherwise, classes are going well and keeping me busy, as is work and securing my internship for the summer.

Hm...on a completely unrelated note, my internet sucks. Since we have been in our apartment my roommates and I have gone through two different internet companies. I'm not going to talk about my issues with internet and cable companies, so if you'd rather not listen, you might want to go about your daily business and skip the rest of this blog. The first company we purchased internet and cable from, and all was well in the world. That is, until our cable stopped working (though we were still paying for it). After a few months of arguing with the company, we canceled the cable and now have no cable; neat huh? Anyway, after that our internet began to go downhill, fast. So after a few more months, we canceled our internet with that company, completely severing our ties with that company. After that we signed on with a much more well-known company for internet, thinking that because of their name/reputation we'd have better internet; we were wrong. We are still with this company and just had the guy out here to fix it yesterday. It hasn't been 24 hours since he was here and our internet is already sketchy...again. Oh, and in lieu of cable we have Netflix (I know, I'm not a fan of brand "repping" but I view "netflix" as somewhat of a noun now, not really sure how else to describe it); not quite the same, but it works.

Ok, that's all that's new in my life. Sorry if you're bored to tears, hopefully something more interesting will come about soon. More to the point, hopefully I'll actually be able to blog more often; we'll see how my internet holds up.

Thanks again for stopping by. Have an enjoyable day, and be well.

Until next time,

J

No comments: