11 February 2008

It could always be worse

Okay sports fans...this is going to be a short post as it's pushing midnight and I'm tired.

So...as you know I'm in a long-term, long-distance relationship right now. I find that as time goes on it gets increasingly difficult to be away from T, and can't say that it's something I'd wish upon anyone...except for one aspect: the strength of my relationship. The relationship that I'm currently in is unequivocally the strongest and most fulfilling one that I've been in during my 23 years of existence. Why is this? Well, it takes different kinds of people to survive these kinds of relationships, it takes open lines of communications, and of course, enormous amounts of trust and love. It's my belief that many relationships, for whatever reason(s), do not have all of these things and as such they aren't nearly as strong as my own. Life, for me and T, could be worse.

Additionally, T and I are VERY busy in our respective programs of study that we're in. It sucks, a lot. Not being able to enjoy yourself because you've got so much work to do is not good and certainly isn't any fun. Not being able to talk to each other some nights because there's more work than can physically be done in a 24-hour day isn't any fun. Getting irritated with one another because we're frustrated because we can't see/talk as often as we'd like isn't any fun. However, it could be worse. We could have a horrible relationship; one in which we didn't trust each other and felt that we needed to talk on a daily basis not for the pleasure of talking with one another, but to check up on each other and make things were still okay. Things could be worse.

My point isn't that things aren't bad right now. My point isn't that life can't have it's downfalls. My point is that while it may seem as if life sucks and the good times are a distant past and unseen in the future, things can always be worse. Believe me, I never liked "that kid" who used to say such things; it always made it seem as if s/he was minimizing my troubles and/or concerns in order to maximize his/her own, but rest assured, I mean no such thing. Yes, life might not be all laughs and fun right now; however, the hard work and apparent suffering that we're putting into life right now will, or at the very least should, pay off in the end, making life more enjoyable and fun...or at least that's the hope.

So chin up, keep a smile on your face (most of the time), and push through the hard times in life, always keeping two things in mind: good times are ahead, and things could always be worse.

J

No comments: